Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Garden ideas and tips

So, I spent a couple hours out back this afternoon. I used the weed-eater and whacked the grass around the rock bed and cinder walls. I used the hedge shears and cut back the oleanders and one tree so they could be walked around and under. I also thought about where to start gardening that would not be in the kids playing field.
Anyone interested in doing gardening should check out http://jane4girls800dollarannualbudget.blogspot.com/
I love the lasagna method of keeping out the weeds. Organic and no use of herbicides. And so simple. I need to try this to keep weeds out from the surrounding areas of trees and flower beds.
Some savings suggestions. Use recycled items like, fencing, chicken wire, lattice, etc to surround and protect your garden. Start saving seeds now. When you use a bell pepper, scrape the seeds out onto a piece of wax paper or aluminum foil, let them dry, then put them in a ziploc bag and label it.
I have: Cherry pits; apple seeds; orange seeds, pumpkin and squash seeds; red, green, and jalepeno pepper seeds; I also have a few packets of flower seeds and stuff that I have gotten free.
Now let's see if I get anything planted.
Don't forget, before you dig call (in AZ - 811) and have them check for wires and pipes and such. Even tilling/ hoeing as little as 2-6 inches can be dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment